Modified on January 24th, 2018 at 08:48 pm
The Anet A8
After a lot of research I decide to get the Anet A8 3D printer for two reasons:-
I purchased mine from GearBest and ordered it with the auto-level sensor and a roll of PLA filament. Took about 4 weeks to arrive on a slow boat from China. Looks a little daunting at first with all the parts but the assembly videos are quite good and I had it running without any issues, but not with the auto level sensor. I wanted to get it working as standard.
There is a good support for the Anet A8 3D printer on Facebook and on YouTube.
The price is coming down on these now and GearBest have this printer at a very affordable price check the link for the latest price Anet A8
There are many modifications you can make to the Anet A8 to improve its results. But to be honest the first print I made with the standard machine was very good.
The first modification was to print a new cooling nozzle, this replaces the original and cools all around the extruder.
The second modification I made was to buy a MOSFET board , from eBay. which basically relieves the controller board from supplying the current to the hot bed. There are some instance when the hot bed connector on the controller board melts. You can also add a second power supply to speed up heating of the bed
I ordered the auto bed level sensor with the printer and this picture below is what Gearbest sent. Keeping the hot bed level is important to get good prints and can be very fiddly and time consuming. The auto-level sensor with the Skynet firmware installed on the controller board measures the bed before the print and compensates for out of level on the bed.
The first time I plugged the auto-level sensor in the LCD on the printer wouldn’t light up. Unplugged and it worked fine. Anyway after much Googling I found out the sensor was supplied wired incorrectly. The blue and brown wire need to be swapped. Its now working very well and producing some great prints. For the money the Anet A8 is very good.
My first print print was the cooling nozzle and it came out very well and since that I made a number of parts. Had a few failures but thats more down to me learning how to use it. I also printed the bracket for the auto level sensor which again came out well. All were downloaded from thingyverse and printed with Cura 2.3
I’ve added a X and Y belt tensioner from Thingyverse and this has made a big difference the the quality of the prints
I lost the spinner off my RC TopHobby Focke Wulf 109A . Couldn’t get one form CenturyUK who supplied the model and just said keep checking, pretty crap I thought. Seems like these are hard to come by now. So I decide to make one. This video shows my efforts and a successful flight
I did have some issues with the amount of play on the linear bearings and printed some new ones which removed nearly all the play. The video below shows the issue. Just recently I’ve upgraded all the linear bearings including the Y axis with Drylin bearings which are very quiet and eliminated all the play.